WEAR | Sew to Grow

When I first started learning how to sew, I quickly found that the big box fabric stores didn't have the stylish and modern fabrics that I was envisioning for my projects.  So I did what any new, young seamstress does.  I started looking for Amy Butler fabrics.  A quick search told me that two local quilting shops carried Amy Butler and I couldn't wait to go shopping.  The first shop I stopped in had very little Amy Butler or any other modern fabrics and I as told they were going to stop carrying them because they didn't sell well.  Fortunately another employee quietly mentioned to me that "the shop down the street carried more modern fabrics".  It was next on my list anyway, so I headed to Fran's Sewing Circle and never looked back.  Not only did they have loads of Amy Butler, but they  were warm and welcoming and they quickly made me a loyal customer.  I loved stopping in to see what new fabrics they had and over the course of my visits, I made friends with one of their young employees, Lindsey.  We bonded over our love of Amy Butler and also found that we grew up less than 2 hours from each other in Texas.

Fast forward to today, Lindsey is living in Australia with her Aussie hubby and has come a long way from her days as a young salesgirl in a local quilting shop.  She has a thriving business teaching others how to sew and how to be successful in the quilting and fabric industry and she just released two new patterns.  I was more than happy to oblige when she asked me to do some testing for her.

First up, her new skirt pattern, The Emerson Wrap.


This is tulip skirt with a wide waistband in the front and an elastic waist in the back, which makes the fit easy and flattering. I made this in a voile by Leah Duncan and it sewed up quickly.  I would consider this an intermediate beginner pattern and would be great if you're ready to go beyond the basic elastic waist skirt.  I was able to sew it up in a little over an hour and the only change I made was taking a few inches out of the length.  



Lindsey has also designed an adorable dress pattern, The Flatter Me Frock.  


This fit and flare silhouette is my most favorite and I was so excited to try this one.  It was my first time sewing a fitted bodice and I definitely ran into a few fit issues (#petiteproblems), but thanks to a Skype date with Lindsey, I know what to do next time to get it perfect (and if you're a little more average than me, you won't have any trouble).  I made this with double gauze from Cotton + Steel and I am in love with it!  The fabric is dreamy and you know I love a dress with pockets.  


I think this pattern is best for intermediate sewers, or an ambitious advanced beginner like me!   Both patterns are well written and include photos which I always prefer.  Both patterns are available in Lindsey's shop.  While you're there, but sure to checkout her new video series!  She's sharing some great tips and suggestions for all skill levels and you're sure to learn something new!   

I'm so thankful that Lindsey and I have kept in touch over the years despite being on completely different sides of the globe (thanks, Skype)!  I'm so proud of her and impressed by all that she's accomplishing and I can't wait to see what she has up her sleeve next!


Find Lindsey:: Web // Facebook // Instagram